Nakhon Sawan

Thai language station bangkok

Bangkok thai language school at silom

The word Nakhon originates from the Sanskrit word Nagara meaning city, and the word Sawan from Sanskrit svarga meaning heaven. Hence the name of the province literally means Heaven City.

The Ping and Nan rivers merge near the city of Nakhon Sawan to form the Chao Phraya River. The Mae Wong National Park on the border with Khamphaeng Phet province was created in 1987 to preserve the Mae Wong-Mae Poen jungle. Bueng Boraphet is the largest freshwater swamp in Thailand, in total covering 212 km². The swamp is located directly east of the town Nakhon Sawan and extends into the districts Tha Tako and Chum Saeng. During the winter months many waterfowls migrate there. Parts of the swamp are protected as a non-hunting area.Nakhon Sawan was a city since Dvaravati era. While part of the Sukhothai kingdom, it was called Mueang Phra Bang, the southern frontier city of Sukhothai. Later within the Ayutthaya kingdom it was an important trade center because of its location at the two major rivers from the north. It also was the common meeting point of Burmese troops before moving to attack Ayutthaya. In the reign of King Taksin the Great, Phra Bang became a Siamese military base to prevent further Burmese attacks.When in 1895 King Chulalongkorn established the monthon as part of the thesaphiban administrative reform, Nakhon Sawan became capital city of Monthon Nakhon Sawan.The 4th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Area Army is based in Nakhon Sawan. It is in charge of the northwestern border with Burma, from Mae Hong Son in the north to Kanchanaburi in the south.

Thai Provincesの一覧